Why SEO Is Important
SEO is an essential part of your online marketing. Every part of your online strategy, tactics and activities needs to support your SEO goals.
Search engine users click on organic results on Google by a margin of 94% to 6% – Source: econsultancy. So you need to have a clear and focused long term goal for organic SEO.
However, Keywords with commercial intent – keywords where a person is looking to buy a product or service (for example: “buy stainless steel dishwasher”) are worth a lot to businesses. Pay Per Click Ads (PPC) have been gaining more ground on the results page. Google PPC Ads are relevant at the time when a customer searches for a product and measurable. So you can use PPC as a tactical tool to drive traffic and sales.
Google is now penalising bad SEO tactics and favouring a more natural way to rank websites. The Google search algorithm, called Pengiun, has changed SEO. Your website could be penalised by Google if you are using bad and old SEO tactics. The emphasis is now on delivering relevant content to your target audience and harnessing social media.
Do SEO the ‘Penguin way’ and you will get more traffic, more customers and grow your business.
Here are 20 SEO Tactics To Build Get More Traffic
Start With Your Website
The first priority for any business is to identify and target a niche marketing strategy. A niche market fits to the long tail of search – in other words you want a market that is low in competition but high in volume.
Follow a Long Tail Strategy: All SEO strategies start by identifying the the keywords for your market/sector: here are some useful tools:
- Google Trends – identifies the trends for keywords
- Google Insights – compare search volume patterns across based on regions, categories, time frames and properties.
- Google adwords – use variations of keywords
- Search metrics
- Wordtracker – my personal favorite
- Ubersuggest – great for reviewing long tail keywords
Start With Your Website
Develop a long term and sustainable SEO strategy that focuses on long-tail keywords.
- Blog– use your blog to create regular content focused around your keywords.
- Social – make sure your blog has highly visible social share buttons and you actively promote it through social channels.
- Research – use keyword research to find opportunities that provide good search volume at reasonably competitive levels (low if you can).
- STOP – jamming/stuffing your blog or website with keywords – Google WILL penalise your site if it looks like you SEO spamming it.
- DO create a strong SEO Title Tag for your website:
- Place your keywords at the beginning
- Use keyphrases instead of keywords
- Separate your keywords with hyphens (-) or pipes (|): Both will make it easier for your audience to scan your title tag.
- Use a Keyword in Your Page and Post Headlines – put a keyphrase in the headline of each page and blog post. Place it at the beginning and avoid going over 70 characters in length.
- Write headlines that grab attention – create killer headlines that are relevant but get people to click.
- Write a Great Meta Description – the meta description is no longer important for SEO but it is very important for how people view that link on Google. So focus on a meta description that will gets people’s attention and entrice them to click.
- Use The Alt Attribute in pictures – often overlooked but valuable.
- Keep It Flat – Search Engines shouldn’t have to go more than 3 layers deep on your website. Over complicated structures often lose people and make navigation hard
- Clean URL Signposting – your url structures should be relevant to the content and a good fit to the content.
- Speed – check the speed of your website – Use Pingdom. It is one of the factors that Google uses to rank your website. Slow means that it will probably cause people to click away. If you want to understand Bounce rate see Avinash’s superb blog Occams Razor (link is to the Bounce rate post.)
[box style=”notice”]reducing the size of your image files can dramatically speed up your website[/box]
Off Page SEO
- Strong>Build a Tribe – social media is a big influence on your search results. Google penguin looks for RELEVANT links from blogs, and “social signals” every-time someone Tweets, Likes or +1′s your content.
- Be Google friendly Use +1 – Google is committed to makiing Google +1 work and it is integrated into every Android smartphone. The world is becoming mobile so use Google +1 to share content
- Quality vs. Quantity
- Invite Guest Blogging – guest bloggers can help you save time i.e. give you a break from blogging, provide fresh perspectives for your audience and often have a new audience that follows them and create links back to your blog.
- Keyword density – no need to fret over this. Google is now looking for a more natural style of writing rather than jamming your page to the hilt with SEO words. This makes the style unfriendly and consered spamming.
- Paying people to create back links via blog comments – if your SEO is touting this as a promise to increase your back links then I would seriously be worried. Google has figured out that a lot of ‘unnatural links’ have been created this way
- Article Marketing – another bad and cheap SEO tactic that again is risking devaluing your website and it being penalised in SEO terms.
- Using relying on directories – the old way of SEO was to create back links to your site from a wide range and diverse set of websites. The more links that a website had the more value it had – hence the birth of directories. Again though these are now being devalued.
– there is a balance between quantity keeping your posts fresh and quality. I think that quality wins everytime – producing top quality content for your audience matters and it shows in how you present your blog and what content you share. Good Content = More Shares.
Focus on building your brand, developing a niche and providing good quality content to your target audience. Be social and build a natural following that will share your content and likewise where relevant share others. This is the age of social value and open knowledge – give a thought to how you can add value to yoru audience and do it well.
What SEO tactics work for you?