Diffbot analyzed 750,000 links posted to Twitter in order to answer three simple questions: what are we sharing, which sites are we using and what languages are being used? The answers are summarised in this revealing infographic, which takes a closer look at a day in the life of Twitter.
- 36% of all links shared on Twitter are images, and 40 percent point at Twitter’s internal photo sharer?
- YouTube is the number one video site on Twitter – 60% of all video links
- English language sites make up 68% of all links, with Japanese (7%), Spanish (4%) and Indonesian (2%) rounding out the top four.
- Some 16% of links lead to articles, 9% video and just 8% link to a product.
- Surprisingly, almost one in ten links shared on Twitter (7%) lead to a 404 error page.
, accounting for 60% of all video links. The BBC is the top english language article website, but ranks second to Indonesia’s Detik.com worldwide
Detik.com accounts for 12,000 links in every one million sent on Twitter, which is 50% more than the BBC, which leads Yahoo, The Huffington Post, Reuters, CNN and The Guardian amongst English article websites.